Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Mountain Top

 12:55AM I woke up to my alarm going off at -I had slept but a brief two hours. Never mind that, I was excited and ready to go! I quickly dressed, grabbed my already packed backpack, and headed downstairs for a bowl of Cheerios and a banana. 1:15AM I locked the door behind me got to my car and took the late night drive to the church where my friend Chris was planning on meeting me in fifteen minutes. He arrived a couple minutes after myself, I hopped in his car and we were off! Driving down dark roads with few other vehicles about, we were on our way to Sunrise, Mount Rainier. 3:30AM We had parked the car in a nearly vacant parking lot, matched a trail on our map with a physical trail, and went on to follow it. We soon saw that the moon gave sufficient light, despite the partial cloud cover, and put out flash lights away.

Both Chris and I had done mountainous hiking in several places, but this was dramatically different and awe inspiring. Our surroundings hardly seemed like something from earth. Fog blocked off many sites, but there were still stars (not to mention the moon) to be seen. The world was almost black and white, greens of valleys and reds of flowers weren't even noticed.
It was all incredible to see.

5:30 we arrived at the location from which we would watch the sunrise. From the lack of motion and constant breeze we had trouble staying warm, but did not cease taking pictures and watching the magnificent views appearing and disappearing as billows of fog rolled by like great curtains.

















































No comments:

Post a Comment